Re: Oracle manual : Greater O/S block size......

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:05:35 -0400

"Gurgaon, DBA (CAP, GECSI, CONTRACTOR)" wrote:

> Oracle says "DB block size should be greater than OS block size
> for better performance of your database".

Only if an Oracle block can be fetched in an integral number of OS block reads. Ideally, you'd also want a larger OS block size if query performance was your main interest. This is because it will minimise the number of OS I/O calls for any given Oracle disk operation. If your Oracle block size was, say, 2.5x your OS block size, you'd need to do 3 OS reads, and you would be wasting 1/6 of the data you'd brought from the disk.

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | One is punished for being
Technology Analysis & Consulting  | weak, not for being cruel.
617 4521300 http://www.agency.com |       -- Baudelaire