RE: New Table Sizing ... but whhhyyyy???

From: Thapliyal, Deepak <DThapliyal_at_ea.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:56:16 -0700

well kathy .. i am happy to hear about your organisation ...

>>forecast figures are NOT based on some marketing geek's
really .. ok .. if you insist .. everyday i learn something new!!

>> sizing and estimating is part of my job description.

sizing and estimating table size based on what !! growth projections right !! do you also do market study and trend analisis and project that you will have "x" # of customers .. maybe you do .. so ok .. good for you :-)) well we dont cause we have full time senior folks devoted to that alone !! In our case .. the base of our capacity plan is inputs what we recieve from the these people (mktg team and management) .. we translate that into oracle numbers and give a safety net of 15-25% .. (we've also ordered a lots of TB's based upon these for a rainy day)

deepAk

PS: btw the name is deepak . (Thay .. hmm:-)))

From: kathy.wright_at_southtrust.com [mailto:kathy.wright_at_southtrust.com] Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 9:33 AM
To: Trace_R_Jones_at_reliantenergy.com
Cc: oracledba_at_quickdoc.co.uk
Subject: Re: New Table Sizing

Use this formula:

  1. Oracle Block Size - standard block header = free bytes available If your block size is 16 k, then: 16384 - 90 = 16294
  2. Free bytes available * (pctfree/100) = # kept for row extensions If your pctfree is 10, using the answer from number one above, then 16294 * (10/100) = 1629
  3. Block size - block header - row extensions = bytes available Using the answers from number 1 and number 2 above, then 16384 - 90 - 1629 = 14665 bytes available
  4. Estimate your table: average row length + 1 byte for each column + 1 byte for each column > 250 in length 3 bytes for header
     Here is an example table:
             183 + 27 + 0 + 3 = 213 bytes

5)  bytes available / bytes                14665 / 213  = 68.8  or 69 rows
per
block

6) estimate your rows per block - example of 150,000 rows

        rows / rows per block = estimated size

        150000 / 69 = 2173.9 round up to 2174k

        size this example table as 2mg!

Great formula, pulled from the ORACLE 8 DBA HANDBOOK (Oracle Press) Hope this helps,
Kathy

If you're bored, then visit the list's website: http://www.lazydba.com (updated daily)
to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe_at_quickdoc.co.uk Received on Wed Jul 12 2000 - 13:56:16 CDT