Re: The BIG picture - RE: Raw Devices v.s. File System

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:49:05 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Sean,

I could not have said it any better...;-)

Thank You,

Gaja.
--- sean.hull_at_pobox.com wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha wrote:
>
> > Given that the performance difference between these advanced
> > fileystems and Raw is not that much, it really begs the
> issue as
> > to why one would want to give up the benefits of a
> filesystem.
>
> I think this derives from whether one can paint with a big
> brush so to
> speak, or if one gets stuck in the details. Tuning large
> complex
> computing systems, like Unix systems running Oracle, often
> requires one to
> be able to look at things from a "birds eye" perspective, and
> see the big
> picture. When you do this you realize that every little ounce
> of
> performance isn't what you're after, but the
> orders-of-magnitude gains.
> You get these from:
>
> o using advanced filesystems over traditional buffered
> filesystems
> o tuning bad SQL queries
> o making sure I/O is distributed across enough disks
> o making sure you have enough memory that you're not swapping
>
> To name just a few. There are often incremental gains you can
> get from
> doing a VERY LOT OF EXTRA work, which are not worth it
> cost-wise, and
> headache-wise.
>
> Just my $0.02.
>
> Sean

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Director, I-O Management Products
Quest Software Inc.
(972)-304-1170
gajav_at_yahoo.com

"Opinions and views expressed are my own and not of Quest"

Do You Yahoo!?
Get Yahoo! Mail Free email you can access from anywhere! Received on Wed Jul 12 2000 - 15:49:05 CDT