RE: arch directory filled; restart ARCH process?

From: James Bullard <jbullard_at_onvia.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:43:10 -0700

There was also a bug in 8.0.5 on HP/UNIX and archiver would not restart after the destination had been cleared, however, they do have a patch. Apparently it is eliminated in 8.0.6. Another interesting side note, on our live site, we had the same problem occur and Oracle will spawn other archiver processes in the event after some prodding the first one does not respond. It shows up in the alert log.

James

Author: "Sandy Ocheltree" <ora_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date:       7/12/00 10:45 AM

Help. I have just started working with a database in archivelog mode. The process that writes our archived logs to tape failed yesterday and eventually the directory that holds the logs filled. The database did not crash though! (I thought that's how it worked?) The alert log has entries showing ARCH trying to write to the filled directory, and failing, but no db

crash. I have copied the archived files off for now and freed up space--is it safe to just restart the ARCH process? Once the process is restarted will

it continue to write to the file that it was archiving to when it failed? Or

will it write to a new file? Am I missing something crucial here? Thanks,
Sandy

Author: Sandy Ocheltree
  INET: ora_dba_at_hotmail.com