Re: CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:14:13 -0700 (PDT)

Natasha,

Your understanding that the listener does not do anything with a connection once the session has been established is accurate. As you mentioned earlier the listener does either a "redirect" or a "spawn and bequeath" and goes about its life of "listening" for incoming connections and repeating the same.

I don't know which documentation you are referring to that describes CONNECT_TIMEOUT as "it sets the number of seconds that the listener waits to get a valid database query after the session has started". Please give us the release number. It could be a documentation bug.

The version of the Oracle 8i documentation that I have does not say anything about "a valid database query" or anything of that sort. The CONNECT_TIMEOUT parameter is relevant in the process of making a complete peer-to-peer connection, and is usually modified when there are significant network delays, that cause delays in the "peer-to-peer communication" between the connection initiator (user process) and the listener. The concept of a "valid connection request" is relevant here as a step of "setting up" a peer-to-peer communication stream between the 2 involved processes, which are part of a "connection". This is not something that occurs after an Oracle session is established.

The Oracle 8i documentation says the following:

CONNECT_TIMEOUT_listener_name

Purpose: Determines the amount of time the listener will wait for a "valid connection request" after a connection has been started.

Default: 10 seconds

Example: connect_timeout_listener=12

Hope that helps,

Gaja.

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Director, I-O Management Products
Quest Software Inc.
(972)-304-1170
gajav_at_yahoo.com

"Opinions and views expressed are my own and not of Quest"

Do You Yahoo!? Received on Tue Jul 11 2000 - 18:14:13 CDT