RE: can't connect locally through Net8

From: Adam Turner <ATurner_at_concretemedia.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:47:57 -0400

Thanks to all the responses. Sorry for the lack of clarity in my email - the messages were vague. I was receiving either a "no listener found" or "could not resolve service name" error. I tried all manner of rebuilding the tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora, and listener.ora files. In the end I had two problems - and one was beyond Oracle. The first was a "(" on the character of a line in my listener.ora file. Once moved by inserting a space it worked like a charm and I could connect via remote clients - this led me to being pretty sure that my tnsnames.ora was the culpret. I tried all types of manually building the file and nothing worked. Finally after two beers and at about 6 on friday I tried putting the IP address in place of the machine name - and ... it wored like a charm. All is well in the world and I proceeded to have a few more beers in an attempt to solve all my computer problems - but instead just had a good weekend with this off my shoulders. Now to figure out why the machine doesn't know it's own name.

thanks everyone!

adam

Author: Scott Shafer
  INET: scott.shafer_at_ildmail.com