Paul Dorsey / (Fwd) RE: Forms 6i or Java

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:29:07 -0700

Pascal,

Let me apologize in advance for what looks suspiciously like a serious flame. I don't really want to do that, but I DO think that it is essentia= l
to separate goals and technology hype from well understood technology. Wit= h
all due respect, if you have the skills to bring off the vision you so blithely espouse, you have a standing offer at Dulcian and you can name yo= ur
price. If you don't have those skills, then your post was ill advised and misleading.

I realize what the Oracle party line is but let me guess.. are you maybe i= n
marketing, or do you build this stuff for a living? I am actually trying to get this stuff to work and I have having a hell of=  a
time. Maybe I am not nearly as smart as the people that work for Oracle, but my experience at ODTUG would indicate that there is no one in the user development community that has been able to achieve the nirvana that you espouse. I think we all understand what the goal is, but we users all have to work in a world where things have to actually work in something other than a sales demo running against scott/tiger.

OK, lets say that there are things that can be done better in JDeveloper than in Forms and then you cobble them together. How many people are actually doing this? There was no one at ODTUG.

Remember the joys of VBXs and OCXs? I am just SURE the Java plug-ins will work at least as well.
OK, lets assume it works. What SHOULD we do in JavaBeans?

These are very hard questions, lets make sure that you sprinkle in some honest warnings with the sales pitch. Please don't push unsuspecting users down an untested well. I have the scars upon scars from earlier wells to make me more than a little skeptical. Please, let some of us actually get some experience on this before we declare this as being the glorious new shining path.

Paul Dorsey
Dulcian, Inc.

Oooooh, this should make for a fun thread!