RE: ORA-12545

From: SENTHILKUMAR NALLATHAMBI <senthilkumar.nallathambi_at_tatainfotech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:20:55 +0530 (IST)

Hi Vikas,

        Thanks for ur reply. I solved the problem in a round about manner. But when the tnsping works for the tnsname which i am connecting to, why shouldn't it connect. Oracle.exe is running and the database is up. I checked it. I am able to connect to the same DB from another m/c from SQL*Plus 8.1.5. But it's not connecting from the same m/c, when i connect from SQL*Plus 8.1.6. It's giving ORA-12545. So i think this is a problem with the version compatibility rather.

NS.

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Gurgaon, DBA (CAP, GECSI, CONTRACTOR) wrote:

> sorry for the incomplete mail.
>
> ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
> Cause: The address specified is not valid, or the program being connected to
> does not exist.
>
> Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered correctly; the most
> likely incorrect parameter is the node name. Ensure that the executable for
> the server exists (perhaps "oracle" is missing.) If the protocol is TCP/IP,
> edit the TNSNAMES.ORA file to change the host name to a numeric IP address
> and try again.
>
> Now one possibility of receiving this error is that,
> you are entering server name in Host parameter in your tnsnames.ora file.
> Now this will give the above error if you do not have a entry of your server
> in your local machines Hosts file.Either make a entry of your server in
> Hosts file or replace parameter
> Host = <server name> to <ip adddress> of your server in your tnsnames.ora.
>
> Vikas

NS.

			SENTHIL KUMAR N
			SYSTEMS ENGINEER
			TATA INFOTECH LIMITED
			BANGALORE 560038
			INDIA.
                        email:senthilkumar.nallathambi_at_tatainfotech.com
                        phone:+91(080) 5284681 extn: 251.
			fax:+91(080) 5284491.