Re: SQLDBA, Monitor, and OEM

From: <sheisey_at_att.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:53:01 +0000

Glen, sqldba was replaced by svrmgrl in 7.1

      sqlplus will officially replace svrmgrl in 8.2. Right now you can use both in 8.1. Connect internal will also go away in version 8.2.
There hasn't been a monitor built into the svrmgrl this was only a sqldba function. There was a motif version of svrmgrm and it had a monitor functions until version 8. Then the motif version was discontinued. OEM has monitors but is part if the Diagnostics Pack(?). This is an option, which means you have to pay an additional licensing fee for the Monitors. This has been true for quite some time now(1.x,2.x). There is some free monitoring you can get with NT using the NT monitor tool, but I do not believe this is available on UNIX. I also believe WEBDB has some monitor funtions but it has been awhile since I used WEBDB and I don't remember if WEBDB has to bought or if it is free.

There is no longer any character based versions of monitors.

Scott