Re: URGENT - NT Recovery - procedure needed for hot backup recovery

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 13:11:34 -0400

John,

please send version info as to whether its Oracle 7.3.4, 8.0.5, 8.1.6 ...

Do you have all of the following:

Are you planning on trying to recover the transactions in the online redo logs, or is incomplete recovery of only the transactions that were archived sufficient?

As a procedure, I'd do the following: (taken loosely from Velpuri Backup and Recovery handbook - page 278 - great book to have around) ISBN 0-07-882389-7

Determine the files that you have and which are garbage/lost - will you be performing Database Recovery or Tablepsace Recovery? Do you have the datafile(s) for the system tablespace?
Backup the Oracle files that you do have on the server (in case you have to open them corrupt).

Complete Recovery Implementation
1. Restore all files from your backup location (disk or tape) to their proper location.

        this includes restoring all of the archived redo logs to the log_archive_dest location.
2. set your environment variables (SET ORACLE_SID=<sid>)   launch server manager - connect internal as sysdba. (SVRMGR23, SVRMGR30 or SVRMGRL)
  startup restrict mount (assuming you have a good controlfile).

        SVRMGR> STARTUP RESTRICT MOUNT; <enter>

3. if you have to change the path of your datafiles, rename them now

        SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE 'oldfilename' TO 'newfilename'; <enter>

4. Make sure that all of the files that you want to recover are online

        SVRMGR> select file#, status, name from v$datafile; <enter>

        files that are not online, bring online:

        SVRMGR> alter database datafile 'filename' online; <enter>

5. Recover the database:

        SVRMGR> RECOVER DATABASE; <enter>

6. Open the Database

        SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE OPEN; <enter>

 	if you don't have the online redo logs, type the following:
	ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

If you had to perform incomplete recovery: until cancel is used if you are performing incomplete recovery

5. SVRMGR> RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL CANCEL; <enter>

6. SVRMGR> ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; <enter>

that was sloppy, but I figured that you'd rather have that quickly.

Paul

Paul Drake