Re: Unix Copy problem

From: Rajan Varad G <vrajan_at_hsc.hac.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 16:18:08 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------367CFDD5D7676BA901E58894

--------------0EB0D10438C5B8D71BE46DC2

Chuck Hamilton wrote:

> Why tar it if it's only one file. That'll add more data to the file.
> Just zip/compress it and copy it. You can zip it on the fly to save
> time like this...
>
> ftp -n <<!
> open remote_host_name
> user user_name password
> bin
> put "| gzip < source_file" destination_file
> !
>
> If you don't have gzip, use compress instead.
>
> Rajan Varad G <vrajan_at_hsc.hac.com> wrote:
>
> Uma Sankara_Sivadanam wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> > I want to copy a 1.6GB data from one unix machine to
> > another unix machine.Since one machine is in India and the
> > other one in europe it is taking quite a longer time to
> > copy.
> >
> > Can any one of you suggest me the best and fastest way of
> > doing this?There is no much time in hand.Quick replies
> > will put me out of trouble.
> >
> > thanks in advance
> > Uma Shankar
>
> Tar and compress the file and ftp it to the other site.
> Uncompress and untar the file on the other side. It
> shouldn't be a problem.
>
> ..Varad
> begin:vcard
> n:Rajan;Varad
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> org:Hughes Space and Communications;Information Technology
> adr:;;;;;;
> version:2.1
> email;internet:varad.rajan_at_hsc.hac.com
> title:Technical Staff
> note;quoted-printable:Ph: 310-662-5195=0D=0AFax:
> 310-364-5933
> x-mozilla-cpt:;0
> fn:Varad Rajan
> end:vcard

The data size is 1.6GB and it is transfered from India to Europe. The copy will take too much time and might hog the network on the sending side. There might be also limitations on what data sizes are allowed over the network. Usually the network folks recommend to ftp vs copy and ftp is faster. The scenerio described si the main issue.

..Varad Rajan
  Sr UNIX Sys Admin/Oracle DBA

--------------0EB0D10438C5B8D71BE46DC2

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html>
Chuck Hamilton wrote:

Sankara_Sivadanam wrote:

The data size is 1.6GB and it is transfered from India to Europe. The copy will take too much time and might&nbsp; hog the network on the sending side. There&nbsp; might be also limitations on what data sizes are allowed over the network. Usually the network folks recommend to ftp vs copy and ftp is faster. The scenerio described&nbsp; si the main issue. <p>..Varad Rajan

--------------0EB0D10438C5B8D71BE46DC2--

--------------367CFDD5D7676BA901E58894

 filename="vrajan.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Rajan;Varad
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Hughes Space and Communications;Information Technology adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:varad.rajan_at_hsc.hac.com
title:Technical Staff Received on Fri Jul 07 2000 - 18:18:08 CDT