RE: Combination of Raw Volumes and File Systems

From: Post, David <Dpost_at_lifelinesys.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 07:51:51 -0400

I've used Waleed's method to clone a database a number of times. The steps were:

	Place tablespaces in hot backup mode
	Use dd to copy the RAW device files to Unix file system files
	RCP the files to another host
	Use dd to copy the files back to RAW devices
	Recover the database

As part of the dd command you need to specify the block size of the RAW device. The cloned database had most of it's files on RAW devices but a few on filesystems due to space limits. I did not mix file type within a tablespace. Both the hosts were the same OS (HP 10.20) and same Oracle version (7.3.4).

Dave