Re: image pixels

From: <sean.hull_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 13:54:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Rivera, Claudia wrote:

> I am starting a data mining project. I will need to store color images in
> oracle. But I need to check the intensity of the colors to be able to
> compare against other images. Is there any way that I can get the
> actual image pixel numbers? How is an image stored in oracle?

Why do you want to store the images in Oracle? You should answer this question before you do. The filesystem may be more appropriate. Oracle Intermedia includes the Oracle Image cartridge. I've used it with Virage (http://www.virage.com/).

What you are proposing doing, determining the pixel values, you'll probably need to write an application to do this. I think what you're working on is called a frame grabber. I could be wrong. I found some links which may help you.

http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/12/30/946562179.html
http://gecius.de/vgrabbj/
http://www.hut.fi/~hmallat/linux/3dfx.html