Re:AVG_ROW_LEN

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 15:08:36 -0400

ED,

    I do not believe that the AVG_ROW_LEN column contains any thing other than the actual average row length. At least comparisons of the avg(vsize()+vsize()...) and AVG_ROW_LEN bear that out.

Dick Goulet

Subject: AVG_ROW_LEN
Author: "Ed Bittel" <ebittel_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7/7/00 11:17 AM

The value of AVG_ROW_LEN in DBA_TABLES is populated by analyzing a table. This value is supposed to represent the average size of a row including overhead.

Question: Does the value AVG_ROW_LEN include both the byte length overhead and the row header or just the byte length overhead?

I ask because I'm trying to adjust non-clustered table sizing calculations that were based on the assumption that row length would be calculated using vsize(column_name) and manually calculating the overhead (i.e., ORACLE8 DBA Handbook Appendix A).

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ed
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>The value of AVG_ROW_LEN in DBA_TABLES is populated by
analyzing a table.&nbsp; This value is supposed to represent the average size of

a row including overhead.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Question:&nbsp; Does the value AVG_ROW_LEN include both the
byte length overhead and the row header or just the byte length overhead?&nbsp;
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I ask because I'm trying to adjust non-clustered
table&nbsp;sizing calculations that were based on the assumption that row length

would be calculated using vsize(column_name) and manually calculating the overhead (i.e.,&nbsp; ORACLE8 DBA Handbook Appendix A).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Thanks in advance for your help, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Ed</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>