RE: Autostart at boottime-Oracle8

From: ARUN K C <arun_k_c_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 09:52:05 PDT

How to change internal password on Windows NT with Oracle Server Version

   8.1.5 or 8.1.6.

   INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Shut down the database either NORMAL or IMMEDIATE (not ABORT!).
  2. Check where your password file is located.
  3. Run the Windows NT Registry editor by clicking Start on the desktop and then click Run.
  4. In the Open box, type:regedt32.
  5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > ORACLE.
  6. The correct location of the password file for each database appears in the right-hand pane of the Registry editor. The format appears as

       ORA_<SID>_PWFILE, followed by the password file location where <SID> is

                         the name of the Oracle database.  The default
location
                         is $ORACLE_HOME/database.

   7. Rename your old PWD<SID>.ora file in the NT operation system.

   8. Create a new password file with ORAPWD.EXE at a command prompt:

       where:  <fname> is the name of password file -- MANDATORY
               <password> is the password for SYS and INTERNAL -- MANDATORY
               <entries> is the maximum number of distinct DBA and OPERs
                         -- OPTIONAL

       There are no spaces around the equal-to (=) character.

       FOR EXAMPLE:

       C:\> orapwd file=passwd.ora password=oracle entries=10

       will create a password file named passwd.ora in the root directory
(C:\),
       the internal password will be 'oracle', and there will be 10 possible
       entries for SYSDBA or SYSOPER users.

       After you have created the password file, you can relocate it as you
       choose.  After relocating the password file, you must reset the
       appropriate environment variables to the new pathname (check
       ORA_<SID>_PWFILE in registry).

   9. Reboot your NT server.

   Notes:

  1. If you receive the file full error (ORA-1996) when you try to grant SYSDBA or SYSOPER system privileges to a user, you must create a larger password file and re-grant the privileges to all of the users.
  2. In 8.1.5 str<SID>.cmd file doesn't exist anymore and just one service handles all database actions, like Automatic startup, shutdown, pfile, etc.
  3. By default in 8.1.x, a new database will use Windows NT Native Authentication by having the following already set in the sqlnet.ora file:

       SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)        This will allow any privileged user defined in the NT user group (named

       ORA_<sid>_DBA) to login to database without providing a password.  To
       disable this feature and force all users to provide a password,
simply
       comment out the above in the sqlnet.ora file:

       #SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)

       Please see Appendix D in Oracle8i Getting Started for Windows NT for
       further details.