Re:RE: Moving datafiles

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:20:25 -0700 (PDT)

Doug,

Your comment about offlining the tablespace and the effect of that in running into the "datafile needs recovery" message is a valid one. But if the database is in ARCHIVELOG mode, it is easy enough to issue a "recover tablespace xxx" before the tablespace is brought online.

The message about one or more datafiles needing recovery in an "offlined" tablespace is indicative of probably a checkpoint and/or a log switch that has occured in the interval between the tablespace being "offlined", datafile(s) being relocated and the tablespace being "onlined". There are absolutely no issues with issuing a "recover tablespace xxx" at that stage and it just ends up synching up the header(s) of the datafile(s).

I do agree with your methodology in you are running in NOARCHIVELOG mode, when one runs the potential risk of n log switches occuring during the operation, where n is the number of redo log groups in the database. Of course the SYSTEM and ROLLBACK tablespaces can be relocated only by the method that you outlined.

If we are talking about a normal production database, it may not be too ambitious to assume that a "shutdown" is not feasible. In that case "offlining", copying the datafile(s) and "onlining" the tablepace will be the only option. Just wanted to share some thoughts....

Best Regards,

Gaja.

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Director, I-O Management Products
Quest Software Inc.
(972)-304-1170
gajav_at_yahoo.com

"Opinions and views expressed are my own and not of Quest" Received on Thu Jul 06 2000 - 11:20:25 CDT