RE: Disabling access of third party products

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:20:14 -0700 (PDT)

Larry,

We've considered that method, and I believe one app here actually uses it.

There is however a risk there that you need to be aware of.

The application name can easily be spoofed in one of 2 ways:

  1. rename an executable that connects to the database
  2. register the app name via DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO.

Jared

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Larry G. Elkins wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> That is one of the things that I have been thinking about, and, was crossing
> my mind when I made the reply. I originally had it in there as a
> possibility; but, since I hadn't done it before, I left it out (I have 8.1.6
> here at home; but, the current production environment I work in is 7.3.4.5).
> I was trying to be as brief as I could (for me anyway); but, I *had* a
> question in there at the end, before severely cutting down the response,
> asking if anyone had tried the approach with a LOGON trigger determining the
> tool. I can be soooo wordy and want to explain everything that I find myself
> composing 3 page replies to a simple question. I then edit everything down
> to just those things that I know and can easily explain. And even then I
> make mistakes and provide a long reply (like this one).
>
> Thanks for bringing that up because it is something that I have wondered
> about; but, never had the chance to try. It seems like a really good idea. I
> would like to hear if other people have used the LOGON trigger approach for
> this purpose.
>
> Regards,
>
> Larry G. Elkins
> The Elkins Organization Inc.
> elkinsl_at_flash.net
> 214.954.1781

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon Received on Thu Jul 06 2000 - 12:20:14 CDT