RE: Cache Table

From: <mleith_at_bradmark.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 14:26:10 +0100

Good question, I'm not fully aware if the cached table (allocated extents)=20= gets fully pulled in to the db block buffer=2E I would think not, due to it=20= being a huge waste of space pulling in empty blocks=2E But I can't find=20= anything documented=2E

What exactly do you want to cache this table for, and what kind of activity=20= is going on, other than with this table=2E One thing that you do have to think=20= about, is that if you are pulling this amount of data in to the db block=20=

cache, what about the rest of the data that needs to be brought in to it=2E If=20=
that makes sense=2E Maybe this explains your low hit ratio=2E How large is the=20=
physical database, in general the DB_BLOCK_BUFFER should be set to around 2=20=
percent of the database=2E

If I were you, try increasing the size of the DB_BLOCK_BUFFER to around 12mb,=20= and don't forget to increase the size of the SHARED_POOL accordingly=2E Monitor=20= the hit ratio constantly through all of this, but don't start straight after=20= changing these parameters=2E Allow the database to run through its normal=20= activity for around a half a day, and check it out then, if your hit ratio is=20= still low, adjust accordingly=2E Its pretty much a matter of trial and error=2E=20=

One thing, do you want to have this table cached permenantly,or is it just=20=
every now and then? Is the table volatile, or is the data fairly static? A=20=
few things to think about here=2E If the data is static, how about a fully=20=
indexed table?=20=

Sorry I've rambled enough, andbody correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still a=20= novice!! Maybe a Guru can add a little extra insight=2E=2E

Cheers

Mark

Author: > INET: aheda_at_cdotd=2Eernet=2Ein
> also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing)=2E
-- Author: VIVEK_SHARMA
  INET: vivek_sharma_at_inf=2Ecom

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity=2Ecom (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from)=2E You may Received on Thu Jul 06 2000 - 08:26:10 CDT