RE: Oracle alert log to cell phone

From: LoughMiller, Gregory <Gregory_LoughMiller_at_bscc.bls.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 09:31:22 -0400

get a 2-way text pager(bellsouth, skytel, blackberry?) and send emails from either OEM, or your favorite script to the pager with the selected text....

So-if you want text sent to the cell phone-my guess is that you would either have an address for the phone(<phone number>@<wireless carrier>.com), or some sort of short messaging process that you could hook into. We had both-and used the short messaging feature of our network for a period of time as well. Most wireless providers provide email service if they have the text based messaging service platform on their networks.

Some of the newer PCS services(web from the phone,etc) should also provide a mechanism where you could get text to the handset. There are some specifics about that type of web site to enable a handset to get the content..

One other tidbit-for a period of time, we had a "reply" address which would have the mailbox setup with an "auto-forward" to a PERL socket... In some cases, we used the 2-way pagers to perform very, very small DBA tasks(is there database locking?, how many sessions?, load on the box?, and the dreaded "flush the shared pool"). It was quite the pain becuz of some in house security and synchronous processing that had to take place between the server and the 2-way pager.. The socket performed a lot of transaction management, and the selection from the 2-way pager was only from a menu-could not send any true commands.. all of the scripts/commands resided on the server. But as time went on-we disabled it due to other company policies...

Greg

Author: Ruth Gramolini
  INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us