RE: Sun Solaris 2.6/5.6, Oracle 8.0.6 and SHMMAX

From: Lord David <DLord_at_axis-resources.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 16:56:45 +0100

I don't have a copy of the 8.0.6 installation guide, but that page in the 8.1.5 one shows an _example_ of setting /etc/system. These are not the actual values to use! There is a table a couple of pages before that which has formulas for setting them.

The SHMMAX parameter is the maximum size of a shared memory segment and needs to be large enough to hold the whole SGA. The whole point of an SGA is to cache data in memory. If parts of it are being paged out, then you're caching data on disk (in the swap space). This is worse than having no cache at all, because you have the overhead of paging it back in when you need it.

Regards
David Lord
Senior DBA, Axis Resources, Cardiff.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

www.mimesweeper.com Received on Wed Jul 05 2000 - 10:56:45 CDT