Secure connections via JDBC

From: S. Anthony Sequeira <Sequeira_at_lineone.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 21:51:56 +0100

Hi,

    I am looking for more ideas here. I have a DB application with all client connections coming from a JDBC connection over a web server. The idea is that the customer uses a web browser to connect to the web site, which then validates the user and then connects to the Oracle database, residing on a different server.

    DB connection passwords should not be sent, or, if sent should be encrypted.

    Two ways to accomplish this spring to mind.

  1. Use O/S authentication

        Drawbacks:

            The userid is available for perusal
            I don't know whether it will work (O/S authentication from
one server to another using JDBC) though I don't see why not

    2. Use SSH and a secure port for protection of all JDBC connections.

    This will be used in conjunction with SQL*Net encryption.

    Any other ideas. I would rather get this right at first, than stumble down dark alleys!

    TIA. Tony

--
S. Anthony Sequeira

Wait for the ricochet

Opinions expressed herein are my own and do
not necessarily represent those of my employer