RE: Real world OCP

From: Gregory Conron <gconron_at_hfx.andara.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 11:26:01 -0300

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> >If you want to license dba's how about janitors and the >trash collector?

How many janitors and trash collectors are on the hook for multi-million dollar business environments? The janitor doesn't clean someones office, big deal. I forget to do backups and the database gets hosed, the company loses $BIGNUM dollars/hour until the db is back up.
Now do you understand why a certain amount of certification may become necessary? Certification will not eliminate human error, but it will help ensure the person admining the database has some level of clue.
That said, the current OCP exams are a joke. I have lost a lot of respect for them after working with 'Oracle Certified DBA's who didn't even know the syntax for user creation, let alone media recovery, tuning, or troubleshooting. However, there will become a certification bar DBAs will have to pass in order to work with the big boxes and in the interesting environments.

Cheers,
GC

--
There is something inherently wrong with the world when Bill Gates is a
famous billionaire and Dennis Ritchie lives in relative obscurity.