RE: SALARY OF AN ORACLE DBA IN CANADA

From: Gregory Conron <gconron_at_hfx.andara.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 20:59:33 -0300

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000, paquette stephane wrote:
> In the Quebec province, the french speaking part of
> Canada,
> you can expect between 50 and 75K/year if working for
> a regular company, between 50 and 90K/year if working
> for a consulting company and expect between 55 and
> 100$ per hour if working as an independant.
> Those are in canadian currency.
> Of course it depends on the size of the company and
> the other goodies (vacations, insurance,....)

Similar here in Nova Scotia, with the exception that very few companies in the Maritimes will hire junior developers and just plain won't hire junior DBAs (that is, DBAs with less than 2 years experience, unless they have other IT experience).

Things are picking up, though, and I believe this may change in the next little while as companies realize it may be cheaper to outsource their projects to Canadian companies as the currency exchange rate is very favorable for US companies right now. Currently, that is what I am doing at $PLACE_OF_EMPLOYMENT - the database is physically located in the US, and we're bought for what seem like decent salaries to us, but are actually very cheap for the US company involved.

Cheers,
GC

--
There is something inherently wrong with the world when Bill Gates is a
famous billionaire and Dennis Ritchie lives in relative obscurity.