RE: pctincrease --SYS objects

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 00:19:26 -0400

> "Most DBAs are reluctant to customize the sql.bsq file prior
> to database
> creation, in the belief that doing so is unsupported.
> However, since release
> 7.3, limited customization of the sql.bsq file has been
> supported. You may
> still see comments to the contrary, even from within Oracle.
> However, the
> Tuning guide of the official Oracle documentation set allows that
> modifications may be made to the sql.bsq file to optimize the physical
> storage of the data dictionary. You may not, however, modify
> the logical
> structure of the data dictionary."

And in fact in 8.1.6 (at least on the Linux release) the sql.bsq finally uses a 0 pctincrease (and there was great rejoicing!), but still has flakey initials and nexts if you are trying to avoid fragmentation by using uniform extents in the tablespace. I've never heard of anyone changing an existing setting for these tables, only doing it through the sql.bsq script for DB creation. I would say changing settings on a live SYSTEM TS is probably totally harmless...or maybe kills your entire production instance and emits a green cloud which corrupts everything within 10 meters of the server. Given those choices I'd probably stick with carefully editing sql.bsq when you know what you're doing before creating the DB and leaving SYSTEM the heck alone once it's in place. Received on Fri Jun 30 2000 - 23:19:26 CDT