RE: Real world OCP

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 23:07:20 -0400

>If you want to license dba's how about janitors and the >trash collector?

But is that really where we belong? I know a lot of users and managers consider us to be some kind of lackeys who exist only to serve their whims, but I think there's a professional element to the DBA that makes the job different. There was a thread here just recently about some vendor trying to get management to run their product on a production instance and management going along with the deal. It was the professional intervention of a DBA that kept this from happening just the way a doctor, lawyer or engineer sometimes tells management that something is foolhardy and the professional will not be held accountable for such an action. Janitors and trash collectors don't have such standards to maintain, except of course for those dealing with nuclear waste...who are licensed engineers.

>You guessed it i only have an associate degree but that >never stopped me
>and where
>my son works as a sa, they would rather he quit college >and work full
>time. So much
>for co's wanting a degree. Yes some do but there are >many that are
>figuring out that
>a degree in partying is not as good as someone who >earned their titles
>through hard
>work.

Glad you went for the associate's. I don't even have that. Spent time learning one career in the military, then moved from that career into IT as a civilian, but never got around to finishing any degree. Received on Fri Jun 30 2000 - 22:07:20 CDT