Re:RE: sqlnetv2light - here it is: RE: SQLNet V1 issue to su

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:40:52 -0400

Since I'm basically a pack rat, it's probably down there in the software drawer somewhere, along with the 6.0.33 tape for HP-UX 8.0.

Subject: RE: sqlnetv2light - here it is: RE: SQLNet V1 issue to suppo Author: "Gait; Christopher" <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil> Date: 6/28/00 1:58 PM

Thanks, Jonas. That one went through fine. Unfortunately it seems that this isn't going to work for us because of limitations of what it can run over:

OWS>                a) FTP
OWS>                b) Novell
OWS>                c) PCNFS

(As mentioned by Eric Pierce)

That doesn't match our configuration, so we're looking increasingly out of luck. Nobody happens to have a dusty version of 7.2.3 for NT out there they'd be willing to part with, do they?

Chris Gait

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 10:29:14 -0600
To: pierceed_at_csus.edu

                          SQL*NET V2-Lite
                          ---------------

        SQL*NET is the Oracle communications component that allows you to
        share information stored in different ORACLE databases. With
        SQL*NET, you can run an ORACLE tool or another application on one
        machine and be able to find, manipulate, and store data in an ORACLE
        database located on another machine.

        SQL*NET also allows applications to connect to multiple ORACLE
        databases across a network, using a variety of communication
        protocols and application program interfaces (APIs) to establish
        a distributed processing and distributed database environment.

        For more information on SQL*NET please refer to SQL*NET TCP/IP
        User's Guide version 1.2.

WHY SQL*NET V2-LITE?

        DOS users till now had the option of using SQL*NET V1. The
        advantages of SQL*NET V2 server of ORACLE ( Ver 6 & Ver 7 )
        were not available due to the constraints of the operating system
        itself. To get around the problem of memory limitations of DOS,
        SQL*NET V2-Lite has been developed.

WHAT IS SQL*NET V2-LITE?

        SQL*NET V2-Lite gives you the flexiblity to connect to SQL*NET V1
        server as well as to SQL*NET V2 server, with added advantages.

        SQL*NET V2-Lite is a scaled down version of SQL*NET V2. It is
        essentially a SQL*NET V1 client simulating SQL*NET V2 client.

        While the features of SQL*NET V2 like Auto-Detection are now
        available through SQL*NET V2-Lite, multi-protocol support provided
        by SQL*NET V2 is not available due to the limitations of the
        operating system.

ADVANTAGES OF USING SQL*NET V2-LITE

  1. Connecting to SQL*NET V2 server
  2. Auto-Detection feature to connect to SQL*NET V1 or SQL*NET V2 server.
  3. Forcible connection to SQL*NET V1 or SQL*NET V2 if required.
  4. Available for various vendors of TCP/IP
  5. FTP
  6. Novell
  7. PCNFS
INSTALLING SQL*NET V2-LITE

        SQL*NET V2-Lite is available for FTP, Novell & PCNFS TCP/IP drivers.

        To work with SQL*NET V2-Lite, the TCP/IP driver corresponding to your

        installation should be present in your system.

        The executable you will be using will depend on the vendor of your
        TCP/IP software as given below:

                TCP/IP VENDOR   Executable required
                -------------   -------------------
                FTP             SQLTCPF.EXE
                Novell          SQLTCPN.EXE
                PCNFS           SQLTCPS.EXE

                COMMON PXE      SQLTCP.PXE

        Copy the respective *.exe and sqltcp.pxe to the ORACLE-HOME/bin
        directory.

        Set the following parameters in config.ora,

           TCP_HOST_FILE    ---> specifies host ip addresses.
           TCP_SERVICES_FILE----> specifies port numbers of the services

        e.g

            TCP_HOST_FILE=\pctcp\hosts
            TCP_SERVICES_FILE=\pctcp\services

        Also ensure that the following entries are present in the services
        file,

                orasrv   <V1 port number>/tcp
                tnslsnr  <V2 port number>/tcp

        For example, if your V1 port number is 1525 and V2 port number is
        1521, the entries would be:

                orasrv   1525/tcp
                tnslsnr  1521/tcp

        For more information on working with SQL*NET V2-Lite refer to the
        Using SQL*NET TCP/IP section of SQL*NET TCP/IP for MS-DOS chapter
        of the SQL*NET TCP/IP User's Guide Version 1.2.

SQL*NET V2-LITE LOGIN PARAMETERS

        You can use SQL*NET V2-Lite to connect to remote database when you
        run any ORACLE application that accepts a username and password in
        the command line. For example, SQL*Plus, SQL*Forms, and SQL*Calc
        all accept a username and password on the command line. The general
        syntax for running an application program from command line is:

        application username/password_at_connect string

        where

        application             Is the command that invokes the
                                Oracle application.

        username                Specifies the username to be used to
                                connect to the remote database.

        password                Specifies the password associated with
                                username.

        connect string          Specifies the network prefix, the target
                                host for the remote database, and the
                                system ID(SID) of the remote database
                                that is the target of your connection
                                request.

        Note: If you are using an ORACLE application that requires its own
        parameters, place those parameters after the SQL*NET V2-Lite
        specific parameters. For example, if you running SQL*Forms with the
        parameters -C BIOS and your username and password are SCOTT and
TIGER
        respectively, and the connect string is t:184.34.78.32/1521:ora,
        your command would be:

                SQLFORMS SCOTT/TIGER_at_t:184.34.78.32/1521:ora -C BIOS

CONNECT STRING SYNTAX

        The syntax for connect string is same as SQL*NET V1 connect string.
        V2-Lite does not require tnsnames.ora like SQL*NET V2.

        The syntax is:

        net prefix:hostname[/port number]:SID[,buffer size][/Listener
version]

        net prefix For tcp it is always T.

        hostname                Address or alias name of remote host.

        port number             TCP port number of Server listener.
                                ( If not given default would be considered).

        SID                     System ID of server database.

        buffer size             The size of context area used by driver.

        Listener version        Optional forcible version number V1 or
                                V2 depending on Server listener version.

        For example, if the address of your host is 184.34.78.32, the server

        listener port number is 1521 and the SID is ora, your connect string
        would be:

                t:184.34.78.32/1521:ora

SYSTEM TESTS
-------------

        This product has been designed to work with all the platforms
        running ORACLE server.

        This release has been tested succesfully with ORACLE server running
        on the following platforms:

                  1) Windows NT
                  2) NetWare
                  3) SunOS
                  4) Ultrix
                  5) IUS
                  6) SCO

TROUBLE SHOOTING

  1. If you are unable to connect to any server, you can use Forcible V1/V2 option.
  2. Timeout option should be enabled on the server and the value for timeout should be greater than zero.

LIMITATIONS

        Since V2-Lite is basically a sql*net v1 simulating sql*net v2, the
        limitations sql*net v1 exists in sql*net v2-lite also.

        V2-Lite PCNFS version may not work continously after 500
connections.
        The workaround is to restart PCNFS.

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu