Enforcing primary key in Forms 6.0

From: Gary Norwell <gnorwell_at_hybridturkeys.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:43:25 -0400

Learning curves are so much fun ....

After dipping toes in the pool for many months, I'm finally settling down with Forms 6 to develop a relatively small application as a "learning experience" before moving on to a larger project early next year.

I've been frustrated by a number of things, one of which is dealing with enforcement of the primary key in a simple base table block. After creating the block and checking that the Enforce Primary key properties are set correctly, I discover that the checking is not done until COMMIT - too late for the user. I can issue a SELECT in the validation trigger to query the base table to see if there is an existing record with the same key. I also need to check prior rows in the form to make sure the user does not try to enter a second
(or subsequent) record with the same primary key value. how can
that be done within the form?

Gary Norwell, Database Developer
Hybrid Turkeys a Division of Nutreco Canada 650 Riverbend Drive, Suite "C"
Kitchener Ontario Canada N2K 3S2
(519) 578-2740 Fax (519) 578-1870