RE: Real world OCP

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:51:23 -0400

I agree with a lot of what you say, Patrice. As far as the life and death issues and DBAs, I imagine there are some people on the list who could tell war stories of when DBA skills really did come down to literal life and death decisions, but most of the time it's just a matter of pressing the right buttons in an organized way or killing someone's week's business, or indeed their business as a whole. I definitely think some kind of licensing is in order. There is of course an unfortunate side effect to this line of reasoning: if people are licensed to do DBA work then they are responsible for doing it right. That's fine, but when the lawsuits get started people are going to need liability insurance for their work. As soon as that liability insurance comes in the door a lot of the profitability of the business is turned over to lawyers.

<tangent> Seems like that happens a lot. Perhaps we should start an export program for lawyers. We could send lawyers to other countries that a have a shortage of legal professionals. We could establish an entire fleet of salt-bottomed boats exclusively for shipping lawyers to third-world countries who need them.</tangent>

I also like the idea about engineer qualifications. Since the DBA profession is closely associated with engineering it may be a good model. Of course one advantage for the hands-on training and testing programs for a DBA as opposed to someone who repairs arteries or builds bridges is that we can build simulators that use actual Oracle8i databases. Thus our simulation is nearly 100% accurate. The only thing that might require a little software trickery is simulating a VLDB environment without using the actual resources required for a VLDB. Received on Thu Jun 29 2000 - 13:51:23 CDT