RE: Real world OCP

From: Jack Silvey <JSilvey_at_XOL.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:44:28 -0500

Bill,

We do not need a piece of paper to tell us we have the skillset to do the job. We use our pieces of paper to demonstrate that we have mastered the theoretical knowledge required to do the job.

Your diatribe reminds me of a factory worker grousing about how he "don't need no college degree because he can do the job."

The difference is in credibility, not knowledge. You saying that you can do the job is different from Oracle Corp certifying you as an expert in your field.

Change of this type is inevitable. I suspect that your disdain of professional certification does not stem from the belief that it is inheriently wrongheaded.

Jack Silvey
OCP x 2
senior @ xol.com

Author: Bill Conner