RE: Real world OCP

From: Gait, Christopher <cgait_at_condor.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:54:39 -0400

>If you guys need a piece of paper to tell you that you >have the skill sets

>to be a dba then you are in the wrong job.

The piece of paper is not for the DBA. The piece of paper is for the employer so that a company without a lot of IT talent can figure out if they are hiring a dedicated person who 'reads the manuals' or some BS artist who decided to call themselves a DBA. Hell, if you want to get rid of all that red tape that's ruining the country lets get rid of this college nonsense. Why should a person have a piece of paper to prove they drank beer for four years? Just go around telling people your experience is much better than some piece of paper from a college. Can that be true? Certainly. There are a lot of people with no degree who have acquired all the professional experience they need to function. An experienced technician is much better than a well-educated clueless beginner. But the reality of life is that people like handles and tags, especially business people. They like to see little initials like B.S. (not BS) and M.S. They are also willing to hire people with lots of experience and no degree.

I can certainly understand why a person might feel threatened by the very existence of a testing program, but I don't sympathize. My position is based totally on experience. That doesn't mean I have any problem whatsoever with seeking qualification on the current lame OCP program or anything better that comes along. The challenge is to make an OCP program that does not deserve the derision it gets on this list. The tests deserve derision as they are now, the concept is fine. Received on Thu Jun 29 2000 - 21:54:39 CDT