Re: Table with Long datatypes?

From: Shreepad Vaidya <Shreepad.Vaidya_at_alltel.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 0:41 -0500

       Hi,
       It would definitely help to place big tables in different
       tablespaces.
       Some advantages
       1) You can size the tablespaces & tables appropriately. In
       terms of Initial extent, Next ,Pctincrease    ,pctused,pctfree
       ,freelists. The big tables will get contiguous chunks .
       2) In case you have to do a reorg for these tables , only the
       concerned tablespaces are affected.
       3) Fragmentation is reduced in other tablespaces (since you
       have transferred big tables).
       4) If you can seperate the big tables into different schemas ,
       you can reduce your export times by      taking backup of
       seperate schemas (if your application allows this)

                      shreepad.vaidya

       From: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com AT INTERNET on 06/27/2000 07:39 PM

       To:   ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com AT INTERNET_at_CCMAIL
       cc:    (bcc: Shreepad Vaidya/IN/ALLTELCORP)

       Subject:  Table with Long datatypes?

       There are lots of questions regarding tables with long
       tables. When I read the Oracle Performance Tuning
       manual, it says "All tables that contain LONG or LOB
       datatypes, should be placed into a separate
       tablespace". My question, what's the advantage? Also
       in my application, among the 100 tables, 5 of them are
       big tables(close to 2GB). Is it better to put them in
       a separate table space?
       Thanks in advance.

       Eric Fang
       Best Consulting

       http://mail.yahoo.com/
       Author: Eric Fang
         INET: eric_fang_at_yahoo.com

       Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
       538-5051
       San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access /
       Mailing Lists
       may
       also send the HELP command for other information (like