Re: Real world OCP

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:31:48 +0100

"Boivin, Patrice J" wrote:

> You propose turning Oracle DBAs into professionals.
>
> That could prove useful, but there has to be a real need out there for
> reliability. It worked for physicians because they could say that if they
> are not certified and trained properly, people may die. On a side track, I
> am not sure I understand how lawyers managed to define themselves as
> professionals, this may bring my argument down to nothing...

It's probably because lawyers need certain ethical standards (don't laugh! ). For example, a corporate lawyer will need to be trusted with information about a company's operations which could severely compromise its ability to compete if it were made available to rivals, or the general public. Perhaps that is enough of a basis for professionalism amongst DBAs (since we could just SELECT any confidential knowledge if we were not trustworthy). But on the other hand, management consultants have access to as much information, without the requirement of membership of an official body, and there are very few instances indeed of information leaks from there.

There are organisations such as the IAP (www.iap.org.uk) who have ethical standards for their members, I guess the ACM has something similar.

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | One is punished for being
Technology Analysis & Consulting  | weak, not for being cruel.
07879607148 http://www.agency.com |       -- Baudelaire