RE: Buffer pools and partitioning

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:44:21 +1000

Hi Mark,

The buffer pool specification is only used during a cache miss to determine which buffer pool the block will be placed in. Thereafter, it is at the mercy of the aging algorithm, which is a variation of the LRU theme based on touch counts, delays and so on with some sensitivity to block class. The persistence of your other blocks in the KEEP buffer pool will be contingent on whether the pattern and number of touches on each buffer is sufficient to keep them hot. There is a hidden parameter that can be used to increase the amount of the KEEP buffer pool that is treated as hot, and that may be worth adjusting it the wrong things begin to age out. There are also lots of other hidden knobs for tuning this stuff, but I expect that everything will work exactly as you would expect without needing to do that.

Regards,
Steve Adams

http://www.ixora.com.au/
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orinternals/