RE: Interesting developments at Oracle ....

From: Steve Orr <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 08:25:53 -0700

> New tools, new methods, new capabilities: these things place us
> at the cutting edge, which exactly where I want to be.

AGREED, however there is a kind of chaos as Oracle forges ahead. Even within Oracle. For instance, I've heard there's some internal wrangling between the interMedia and iFS camps at Oracle. There's a great deal of overlapping functionality and confusion as to where Oracle is going. There's a ton of functionality with the interMedia text, media, spatial, time series, and VIR options. There are 2,868 pages of documentation on this stuff ...and no education classes!?? ...and most of the interMedia functionality is to be duplicated/replaced by iFS? (For what it's worth, this is a "rumor" from an Oracle employee.)

So what's a data architect or DBA to do? After Oracle delivers new stuff it takes at least a few years for the DBA/Duhveloper community to adopt, learn and implement it. It used to be that an Oracle DBA could know everything he/she needed to know to administer any aspect of the database. No more. Now there are many specialties. No one is able to know and understand everything there is to know and understand about administering an Oracle database.

IMHO,
Steve Orr