2 Listeners

From: Olson, David <OlsonD_at_PIOS.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:08:16 -0400

DBA's,

We have 5 instances running on one large UNIX box. They are all the same version of oracle, 8.0.5. Connections to the database is starting to get the following error:

[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

The error message is not constant abd not always from an ODBC connection. Talking to our UNIX admin group, we are hitting a max number of child process for our listener. Is it possible to run multiple listeners, listening to different ports on the same server? Or is there another work around for this problem.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Olson
DBA - Tech. Support Team
216-332-3195

 From: John Barron <jbarron_at_windriver.com>  Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:17:24 -0700
 Subject: 8i CLOB data needs a labotomy

Hi

I think my 8i CLOB data needs a labotomy. This is my problem and my work around. We use perl DBD::Oracle to load our database from flat files. Part of it is to load embedded text data into CLOB columns in our table CR_HLD_QISI_CALLS. The CLOB cols are PROBLEMTEXT, ANALYSISTEXT, etc. When we run the perl script the 100M text file mushrooms out to 900M in the tablespace. Using the tablespace coalesce command has no affect on the tablespaces. If we MOVE the tables and CLOB data to another tablespace (or even in the same tablespace) and compress to one extent it shrinks the 800M down to 40M.

Why does it take so much tablespace? Is it the way perl loads data? We have set default storage on the tablespace and tables to PCTFREE=0 as there will be no Received on Tue Jun 27 2000 - 15:08:16 CDT