(Fwd) RE: what the !@#$%^&* / Re: Interesting developments at

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:35:29 -0700

From:           	[deleted]
To:             	<PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Subject:        	RE: what the !@#$%^&* / Re: Interesting developments at Oracle ....
Date sent:      	Tue, 27 Jun 2000 20:29:14 -0500

>yes.

You're right, in a strict sense, Forms is Forms.

>What I
> understand from the Forms 7.0 Obsolescence document is that "client/server"
> forms apps will not be an option with Forms 7. And like you say, the
> "traditional" c/s mode (using Forms 6i) will be supported through 2006 (2008
> with extended support) for those wanting to remain in the traditional c/s
> mode. But, Forms 7 is still Forms.

Right, the development tools will remain client/server (ie, *not* browser based??), but runtime will be strictly web based, right? (bad memory, and I wasn't paying much attention to begin with, sorry!)

I guess the question is, were browsers intended to be database application development platforms? The impression I get is "no".

Thus, developing for a browser environment (as opposed to the "native" OS-based one), is quite a departure, regardless of what kind of spin Oracle is trying to put on the market gyrations they are going through, no?

>Is Forms being done away with after 7? Is
> Larry forcing us all to JDeveloper or something else after Forms 7, with no
> more Forms versions being released?

not sure.

There was a long, interesting, and occasionally overheated thread on the ODTUG Developer list last spring about the entire history of "web forms", including statments from a manager in the Developer Product team at Oracle UK. Let me know if you want me to forward those 25 msgs to you.

The upshot is that Oracle's history with "web forms" is pretty bad, they have basically wildly swung the customers around on the end of a rope while the market was in chaos (fat vs thin clients, etc.), and Oracle's strategies gyrated all over the place in vain attempts (NC) to compete with MS' fat client stuff and keep up with all the related rapid technology changes. Thus, a long series of horrible Oracle patches, etc.

> Seriously, are you onto something and know about something that the rest of
> us don't?

definitely not, i was just tired, and wasn't being careful in making the appropriate distinctions. thanks for the clarifications. Received on Tue Jun 27 2000 - 21:35:29 CDT