RE: RE: Invalid VIEWS

From: Gunawan Yuwono <gunawan.yuwono_at_webbox.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:02:38 -0700

Jerry,
You're right about those invalid LOCK views. I found the following from METALINK:

Doc ID: Note:1065886.6
Subject: V$LOCKS_WITH_COLLISIONS, V$LOCK_ELEMENT, ETC. INVALID AFTER MIGRATION TO 8.0.X
Type: PROBLEM
 Content Type: TEXT/PLAIN
Creation Date: 16-FEB-1999
Last Revision Date: 04-MAY-1999
Language: USAENG

Problem Description:

If you upgrade and your version is less than 8.0.X you will notice that the following views are invalid after the migration process.  You will also notice that you can still select from these view even though they are invalid.
Attempting to compile or drop them resulted in ORA-2030.

ORA 2030 "can only select from fixed tables/views"  *Cause: An attempt is being made to perform an operation other than

           a retrieval from a fixed table/view.  *Action: You may only select rows from fixed tables/views.

Problem Explanation:

The reason that you are unable to compile or drop the views, yet still able to select from these views is because in ORACLE8 the view have become fixed views. because this is no longer a conventional view, it's a fixed view. These views don't exist in Oracle8. They were replaced by views with names "v_$".

Search Words:

ORA 2030 Solution: DROP VIEWS AND SYNONYMS ON 7.3.X DATABASE

Solution Description:

In order to resolve this problem, a workaround would be to drop the views and their synonyms on the 7.3.X database before the migration.

The problem is that the old view definitions are still left lying around in the data dictionary, and they show up in DBA_OBJECTS as views with a STATUS of INVALID. Dropping these views before the migration will resolve the problem with these views showing a status of invalid.

	drop public synonym v$locks_with_collisions;
	drop public synonym v$lock_element;
	drop public synonym v$lock_activity;

	drop view v$locks_with_collisions;
	drop view v$lock_element;
	drop view v$lock_activity;

Solution Explanation:

You can't do ALTER VIEW...COMPILE to clear this status, and you can't DROP them (in fact, the actual view name is a fixed view, and can't be dropped because you can only do that with objects that are listed in the dictionary).
Doing SELECT from these views will still work just fine. If the views and synonyms are dropped before the migration, there will not be any conflicts with the fixed views. (Views originally created by CATPARR.SQL)

Solution References:

Bug:667532 Fixed in 8.0.5.1

Gunawan Yuwono
Oracle DBA
Kansas City, MO

If I remember
>correctly the views with (SYS.V$LOCK)listed in your email below
 need to be
>dropped before you migrate. Check on Metalink before you do
this however.

538-5051
>> > San Diego, California -- Public Internet access /
 You may
>> > also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
>> >

>> --
>> Author: Ruth Gramolini
>> INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us
>>
>> Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858)
538-5051
>> San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists