Re: PROD without TEST

From: Chris Royce <Chris_at_Royce.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:19:03 -0400

Jack,

    I may have a slightly 'ovekilled' environment BUT we do take into consideration development, testing (both unit and integration) patching, conversion testing (data migration), QA and training. I also have an additional environment for myself - the DBA - to test backup and recovery scenarios as well as upgrades etc. etc. We are running Oracle Financials as well as 5 other applications with their own production instance. As a result, I have a total of 43 instances of Oracle distributed over 8 database servers supporting 6 production instances. Overkill ?? maybe but I can assure that by the time something gets into production it generally works. It may seem cumbersome but works surprisingly well. I am a little pushed when it comes time to refresh instances but as a result I have 99 % automated the process. It would be insane to risk the business for the lack of SOME testing environment - 'canned package' or not. We have had more problems (in test and QA) with our third party applications providers than our own in-house development. Good luck-- gotta have that test environment.

Chris Royce
Snr DBA
Jamestown, NC