Re[2]: SQL*Net overhead

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:39:56 -0400

At the risk of someone flaming me badly;

Be careful with TDU/SDU. First these two have to be the same value or some very qwirky things begin to happen. Second they control the amount of data SQL*Net sends to the protocol adapter at one time, not the amount of data that is inside the packet. If you can get TDU/SDU to be equal to an even multiple of the real data packet size then things work out nicely. On the other hand if it's not an even multiple then you waste network bandwidth. As an example: If your typical packet size is 2K (which I understand is rather common) then you can set TDU/SDU to 2K, 4K, 6K, etc... (In actual bytes that is). In this case SQL*Net sends an amount of data to the TCP stack that can be equally broken up into packets, filling the packet. In this case to get say 10K of data from the database to the client takes 5 packets. If, on the other hand, you set it for 3K then SQL*Net sends the data in 1.5 packet size chunks thereby taking 7 packets (Each SQL*Net chunk takes 2 packets to send & this is 3 and a third chunks).

For HP-UX and Windows 95/NT sizes of 2048, 4096, and 8192 work very well. Anything above 8192 seems to slow things down.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Re: SQL*Net overhead
Author: "Suzy Vordos" <lvordos_at_uswest.com> Date: 6/22/00 9:00 AM

Nope, but think you can tune it using TDU/SDU in listener.ora and tnsnames.ora. The max value (last time I looked) was 32768.

Author: Suzy Vordos
  INET: lvordos_at_uswest.com