SQL*PLus core dumps trying to connect to database

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:50:47 -0400

Hey Gang,

    I've run across a problem with a very interesting solution that some of you may be interested in. Here's the situation:

HP 9000 L class with HP-UX 11
Client application is written for 64 bit and they want to use Oracle 8.1.6 Standard edition. (it's a speed and money thing)

Problem1: Oracle does not have 8.1.6 Standard edition for HP-UX 64 bit.

Solution1: Install 8.0.5 64 Bit client side in separate Oracle_Home.

Problem2: Pro*C application as well as SQL*PLus (64 Bit) core dump when connecting to the local 8.1.6 (32 Bit) database, but NOT when accessing an external 8.0.5 or 8.0.4 database.

Cause: Looks like BUG #1080084 in SQL*Net. Except: if DB is down we get the appropriate error message. If the listener is down we get the appropriate error message. Bug patch is from wrong system, HP-UX 10.20 not 11.

Solution2: Thanks to OTS's configuration as a "bullpen" the conversation I was having with the support tech was overheard by another tech who suggested setting NLS_LANG (not NLS_LANGUAGE) to "English".

What do you know, it worked!!! Received on Thu Jun 22 2000 - 12:50:47 CDT