RE: PROD without TEST

From: Jack Silvey <JSilvey_at_XOL.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:23:57 -0500

I had the same fight with management in my last job many times. I supported lots of canned apps, so the argument always was "but we won't be doing any development."

The reasons that they should not deny you a test server:

(1) To test your backup and recovery strategy - where else can you do this? By not allowing you to have a test server, they are CERTIFYING that your backup and recovery strategy IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE flawless. Let them think long and hard about taking responsibility for the fact that the database is unrecoverable and that the data is lost. DBAs can always find another job, middle management can't.

Get this one in email form, and tack it to the wall. They are PREVENTING you from testing your recovery.

(2) They are CERTIFYING that all code sent to you by the application vendor will run flawlessly with your paticular combination of hardware and software.

(3) They are CERTIFYING that any patches sent to you by the database vendor will work flawlessly.

(4) They are CERTIFYING that any patches sent to you by the operating system vendor will work flawlessly.

(5) They are CERTIFYING that they will never need to upgrade any software on the production server, or if they do, that any and all software upgrades that you perform will be flawless and will never need to be tested first. Let them ponder for a while about what will happen when the vendor sells them the latest and greatest upgrade and it does not work in your system. You will have to take the server offline for an indeterminate period to roll everything back, assuming your untested recovery will work!

(6) They are CERTIFYING that they will never require any development or customization of the software on the server, or if they DO need development, they are CERTIFYING that ANY development that occurs will NEVER compromise the integrity of the production data.

(7) They are CERTIFYING that if any of the above is not true, you will be able to hack the prodcucion server until you find out what is true.

If you inform the world via email (nicely, of course, not CAPITALIZATING everything IN SIGHT), they might begin to discover that it is in their personal best interest to get you a dev server and keep you away from prod!

And if not, find a real shop where they understand the necessity of such things, not a place where they are cheap and/or not in the know.

And now I can fairly say that I have had my say today!

:)

Jack Silvey
ocp x 2
Senior @ xol.com