RE: How to set SGA size initially?

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:03:43 -0700 (PDT)

Gopal,

My original posting communicates exactly your point, i.e. "The size of the redo log buffer should be around 512K". There are some exceptional cases where I have had the need to set it at 1M (due to very heavy transactional volume - 1000s of transactions) and that is what I wrote (exception).

I am not sure what issue you are alluding to with regards to "commit confirmation delay" and the 1M redo log buffer size that we are referring to here. I am not aware of such an issue, so if you care to explain, it will be greatly beneficial for everyone.

I do agree that with a 1M redo log buffer, it takes longer for the 33%-write threshold to occur - the write is done after 333K worth of redo entries instead of 166.5K worth of redo entries with a redo log buffer sized at 512K. No arguments there.

So effectively, both of us have said the same thing and I am wondering where the disconnect is. May be I am missing something???? Here is the snippet from my original posting:

>Further, the default size of the redo log buffer is
>(4*db_block_size), and that is definitely too small. For most
>environments the size of the redo log buffer varies from about
>256K - 1M, where the average size is at 512K and 1M being the
>exception and not the rule.

Cheers,

Gaja.

> stuff deleted<

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha | gajav_at_yahoo.com Brio Technology | (972)-304-1170

"Opinions and views expressed are my own and not of Brio Technology"

Do You Yahoo!?
Get Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere! Received on Thu Jun 22 2000 - 21:03:43 CDT