RE: Pro*C/Pro*Cobol vs PL/SQL Performance

From: Srinivasan Subramanian kandallu <srinivasan.kandallu_at_wipro.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:12:45 +0530

My own experiences...

Advantages of using Pro*c

  1. If you are doing lot of calculations based on the data retrieval, you can not match anything other languages with pro*c, it is 10 times faster than PL/SQL.
  2. You can fetch records in batches as opposed to normally we do in L/SQL( fetching records one by one from cursor), this will tremendously increase your application performance.
  3. Batch selection,insertion,updation and deletion are possible.

Disadvantages

  1. If you run the same pro*c code on some other installations, say, you have written the code on HP-UX and if you try to execute the same code on Solaris, it may or may not work. - Portability is not there.

Advantages of using PL/SQL

1.100% portable across platforms
2. Codes are stored in compiled form ,if it is a stored procedure/function.
3. You can pin the objects into memory and it is available always in memory
and ready for execution.

Disadvantages

  1. If you are doing lot of numeric calculations, your PL/SQL code will become damn slow.

Regards,
Srini

Author: Leng Kaing
  INET: leng.kaing_at_hancorp.com.au