RE: RE: Oracle Internals ??

From: Gunawan Yuwono <gunawan.yuwono_at_webbox.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 06:13:31 -0700

When you dropped a tablespace, the datafile, in this case 'D:\DATA\OHIR\OHIR_TEMP02.DBF', didn't get deleted in the OS level. Either you use "REUSE" option or remove the datafile manually before recreating the tablespace.

HTP. Gunawan Yuwono
Oracle DBA
Kansas City, MO

Why this
>> is so ???
>> Could someone explain when the entry from file$ goes off?
I even
>> bounced tha database but no luck? Does it mean that I will
never be able
>> to use a datafile with same name??
>>
>> Here is the sequence of commands that I executed on prompt
:

>> SQL> create tablespace OHIR_temp2 TEMPORARY datafile
>> 'D:\DATA\OHIR\OHIR_TEMP02.DBF' size 10M
>> default storage (
>> initial 256k
>> next 256k
>> pctincrease 0
>> );
>>
>> Tablespace created.
>>
>> SQL> DROP TABLESPACE OHIR_TEMP2 INCLUDING CONTENTS ;
>>
>> Tablespace dropped.
>>
>> SQL> create tablespace OHIR_temp2 TEMPORARY datafile
>> 'D:\DATA\OHIR\OHIR_TEMP02.DBF' size 10M
>> default storage (
>> initial 256k
>> next 256k
>> pctincrease 0
>> );
>> create tablespace OHIR_temp2 TEMPORARY datafile
>> *
>> ERROR at line 1:
>> ORA-01119: error in creating database file
>> 'D:\DATA\OHIR\OHIR_TEMP02.DBF'
>> ORA-27038: skgfrcre: file exists
>> OSD-04010: <create> option specified, file already exists
>>

>> SQL> SELECT SUBSTR(FILE_NAME,1,32),SUBSTR(TABLESPACE_NAME,1,12),
>> BYTES,STATUS FROM DBA_DATA_FILES ;
>>
>> SUBSTR(FILE_NAME,1,32) SUBSTR(TABLE BYTES STATUS
>> -------------------------------- ------------ --------- ---------
>> D:\DATA\OHIR\OHIRSYSTEM01.DBF SYSTEM 157286400 AVAILABLE
>> D:\DATA\OHIR\OHIR_RBS01.DBF OHIR_RBS 104857600 AVAILABLE
>> D:\DATA\OHIR\OHIR_TEMP01.DBF OHIR_TEMP 104857600 AVAILABLE
>> D:\DATA\OHIR\OHIR_TOOLS01.DBF OHIR_TOOLS 26214400 AVAILABLE
>> D:\DATA\OHIR\OHIR_USERS01.DBF OHIR_USERS 52428800 AVAILABLE
>>
>> 5 rows selected.
>>
>> SQL> SELECT FILE#,STATUS$,TS# FROM FILE$ ;
>>
>> FILE# STATUS$ TS#
>> --------- --------- ---------
>> 1 2 0
>> 2 2 1
>> 3 2 2
>> 4 2 3
>> 5 2 4
>> 6 1
>>
>> Will appreciate your input on subject :
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Rajesh
>> --
>> Author: Rajesh Dayal
>> INET: Rajesh_at_ohitelecom.com
>>
>> Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858)
538-5051
>> San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists
 You may

Sent from a WebBox - http://www.webbox.com Received on Wed Jun 21 2000 - 08:13:31 CDT