Re: Archivelog

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:04:00 -0400

Varad
As discussed in one of the previous threads about archivelog mode:

  1. The init.ora parameter log_archive_start is to start the=20 archiver process(es) when the database starts.
  2. 'alter database archivelog' puts the database in archive log mode.
  3. 'alter system archive log start' starts automatic archiving.

'Oracle Backup and Recovery Handbook' states that either of 1 or 3 is necessary.

Let's backup a minute... To start automatic archiving you need to either: = 1)
change the init.ora parm and restart the database; or 2) issue "archive = log
start" from svrmgrl. You can have archiving started but not have the database in archivelog mode. See the below listing:

SVRMGR> archive log start
Statement processed.
SVRMGR> archive log list
Database log mode              No Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            /u01/oracle/product/8.1.6/dbs/arch
Oldest online log sequence     2140
Current log sequence           2142

SVRMGR>

But to implement archiving you need to shutdown the database, startup = mount,
alter database archivelog, archive log start, alter database open, then do an "archive log list" to make sure both the database is in log mode AND automatic archiving is enabled.

I once left automatic archiving enabled on a database that wasn't in archivelog mode. Eventually when it wrapped around and started having "recursive SQL errors" until it crashed. At least that's the way it was in Oracle 7.3. Right?

Sorry I can't give credit to the person that wrote this info, but the = steps described work to a tee.
Ron ROgers
DBA
Atl.GA
>>> vrajan_at_hsc.hac.com 06/21/00 01:44PM >>>
I wanted to turn the Archivelog mode on and if I change the parameter in the init.ora file and issue the SQL command "ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG', is it enough or do I need to do something more. I appreciate your replies. Thanks. Received on Wed Jun 21 2000 - 13:04:00 CDT