Re: I/O activity during HOT backups

From: ARUN K C <arun_k_c_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:15:09 PDT

When the Alter tablespace begin backup command is issued a global database checkpoint occurs.This means that the current system change number is logged to the redo log stream in a checkpoint record,and all buffers in the buffer cache modified prior to that scn must be flushed down to the datafiles.Once the checkpoint completes then the header block of each datafile in the tablespace is frozen,meaning that the header will not be updated to record the scn of future checkpoints.
However the writing of database block to the body of the datafiles is not changed in any way.During future checkpoints,while the tablespace remains in backup mode,blocks continue to be written to the datafiles,just like normal. When the Dbwr process flushes blocks to the datafiles outside of checkpoint processing, this continues in the datafiles belonging to the tablespace being backed up,just like normal.

Meanwhile,while this normal i/o occurs to and from the tablespace in backup mode,some type of operating-system utility is copying the datafiles,backing them up,The files are being changed,as they are being saved to the backup media.To put it another way the datafiles that are being backed up are not consistent and in one sense of the word are CORRUPT. AND WE DONT CARE.
Because should a recovery situation occur, the datafiles will be recovered from the point in time specified by the scn logged in the file header.That scn represents the point in time of the checkpoint that was triggered by the ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN BACKUP command .Thus should the database crash before the ALTER TABLESPACE end backup command, all changes to the datafile since the scn in the header would be reapplied .In the event that the datafile being backup up was itself lost,it could be restored from a previous backup copy,and all changes from that point in time would be reapplied.
The point is,freezing the scn timestamp in the datafile header keeps the datafile safe while backups are occuring.Also should the backup up datafile be restored in a recover situation,all the changes from the point in time of BEGIN BACKUP would be applied fro the redo logs.The so called INCOSISTENT OR CORRUPTED DATAFILE,backup up while it was in flux,provides just a baseline from which redo log information can be applied.Thus it permits the datafile to be recovered safely,regardless of the changes made while it is being backup up.

I think the above answers the Q's which was floating around This was picked out from the Tusc white paper.