8.0.5 to 8.0.6 wariness

From: Michael Johnson <mjohnson138_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:53:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

We are running 8.0.5 on a production machine and would like to be able to replicate it. Due to a problem with some consultants, we have an 8.0.6 CD which we will use to install onto a local machine (we'll use this machine to replicate to the 8.0.5 production box). I'm wondering whether there are any caveats I should be worried about in doing so.

The intent at the beginning was to have the same OS and the same database on both ends for consistency, but this is no longer an option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Michael

Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com/

 From: "Charlie Mengler" <charliem_at_mwh.com>  Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:55:42 -0700
 Subject: Re: Striping Disks

In my opinion you should ONLY stripe disks when you have or can achive 7+ separate volumes, and here is why. On a striped volume you (the DBA) lose all ability to control the "hot spots". In a striped volume Oracle only "sees" & reports activity against the single striped volume. You have NO way of identifying the cause of "hot spindle(s)" because you have no way of "mapping" what data physically resides on which physical volume. For myself I only use RAID-1 volumes.

HTH & YMMV! Ashish Shah wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have 6 * 9 GB disks on Sun solaris. Any
> recomendations abouts how do I go about
> striping them for better I/O.
>
> Make sure you include redo,system,data,indx,arch,temp,
> and backup files..
>
> Should I strip all 6 disks equally and place files
> accross???
>
> Thanks.
>
> =====
> Ashish
> Toronto, Canada

> Send instant messages with Yahoo! Messenger.
> http://im.yahoo.com/
> --
> Author: Ashish Shah
> INET: ar_shah_at_yahoo.com

Charlie Mengler                               Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com                              5505 Morehouse Drive
858-552-6229                                  San Diego, CA 92121
Always be sincere about your enthusiasm, whether you mean it or not.

 From: "Steve Orr" <sorr_at_arzoo.com>
 Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:04:09 -0700
 Subject: RE: Locally managed tablespaces

Yup, it's 64K. Here's an excerpt from Steve Adams' website:

"locally managed tablespaces have a 64K bitmap after the datafile header
block."

Check it out at: http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/creation/datafiles.htm

Steve Orr