Re: deleted rollback-seg. tablespace

From: A. Bardeen <abardeen1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:41:06 -0700 (PDT)

Oliver,

The tablespace *does* exist as the drop tablespace command didn't succeed since you have active tx's in one of the rbs's. If you mean that the datafile that needs recovery doesn't exist at the OS level, that's a different story. Even if you remove a datafile at the OS level, it's not removed from the db until the tablespace to which it belongs is dropped.

If the db is in archivelog mode, restore the datafile from backup and recover it, but I think you already mentioned that you don't have a backup.

Without a backup or an export, from which to rebuild, you're out of luck.

<soapbox>
You can force the db open with certain undocumented init.ora parameters, but I'm not going there, although I'm sure someone else on the list will be more than happy to do so.

There are many restrictions and issued involved with doing this and I'm not comfortable giving such advice freely over the list since improper use can leave you in a worse state than you were originally. These options introduce logical corruption as you are essentially telling Oracle to ignore whatever is in the RBS and treat whatever is on disk as committed.

In addition, unless you are 99.9%+ sure of what txs are in those RBS's you should use these options only to force the db open in order to immediately do an export and rebuild the db. Continuing to use a db which has been forced open this way, without rebuilding it, can cause serious problems which may not manifest themselves until much further down the road so what would have been a simple, albeit time-consuming, rebuild initially turns into a major headache (been there, done that, it wasn't pretty).

Should you decide to go down this route, I highly recommend shutting down and doing a cold backup first so you can come back to this point, if needed.

</soapbox>

HTH,