Re: Striping Disks

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:40:39 +0100

Ashish Shah wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have 6 * 9 GB disks on Sun solaris. Any
> recomendations abouts how do I go about
> striping them for better I/O.
>
> Make sure you include redo,system,data,indx,arch,temp,
> and backup files..

If all you're concerned about is I/O performance, then mount each disk separately and spread your tablespaces across them. But in doing so, you'll sacrifice fault tolerance. If at all possible, you should have at least 7 physically separate and redundant file systems (i.e. RAID 1 or 10).

Cheers,

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | One is punished for being
Technology Analysis & Consulting  | weak, not for being cruel.
07879607148 http://www.agency.com |       -- Baudelaire