Re: trusted oracle

From: guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:44:21 +0100

Jack van Zanen wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We have a database and if we select * from dba_jobs through sqlplus on a
> windows PC (95,2000) we receive ORA-3115
> Both database and client are 8.0.5 so the oracle solution to upgrade the client
> to a newer version should not make a difference. We did anyway and still the
> same.
>
> Later talks with Oracle WWS revealed that we have installed oracle "trusted"
> which causes this problem.
>
> Could anybody explain what this means as Oracle WWS did not get it across to me,
> and documentation is virtually impossible to find.

Trusted Oracle adds the concept of mandatory and discretionary access control "tags" to each data item. It is generally used by governments who have classified data. Personally, I think it's debatable whether or Trusted Oracle nowadays does anything that you couldn't do with 8i (IMHO).

I would be *very* surprised if you'd installed it by accident, it doesn't ship on the regular media.

guy ruth hammond <grh_at_agency.com> | One is punished for being
Technology Analysis & Consulting  | weak, not for being cruel.
07879607148 http://www.agency.com |       -- Baudelaire